Additional switches and outlets are needed in a home from time to time. Knowing how to cut in an electrical box will come in handy if you want to complete this project.
Mark the Hole to be Cut
1. Measure up the wall that you want to install the box.
2. Place a small line, using a pencil, to mark where the top of the box will be.
3. Using the electrical box that you are going to install, hold it up to the wall.
4. Put the level on the side of the box to level it.
5. Using the pencil, mark the outside of the box on the wall.
Cut the Hole
1. Before cutting the hole, place a box or newspaper below the hole to be cut. This will catch all of the drywall dust.
2. Using a drywall saw, cut the drywall by following the pencil lines that you've just drawn.
3. To start the hole, tap the base of the drywall saw until it goes through the drywall.
4. Continue cutting until the hole is completely cut out.